Emergency Veterinary Care
Daytime Emergency Care
Contact Colonial Park Animal Clinic
Call: (717) 540-7140
After-Hours Emergency Care
Palmyra Animal Clinic
On-Call Emergency Services Available
Saturday & Sunday from 12:00 - 9:00 pm
Call: (717) 838-5451
Shores Veterinary Emergency Center
Call: (717) 798-8500
Emergency Veterinary Services
Is your pet exhibiting symptoms or behaviors that are causing you concern? Contact our office right away, or the after-hours emergency pet hospital locations listed above.
Our compassionate, dependable and experienced team at Colonial Park Animal Clinic offers veterinary care for pets in most emergency situations. Animals are our passion, and we take pride in providing quality medical care when it's needed most.
Steps to Take In A Pet Emergency
Are you experiencing a veterinary emergency? Please follow the steps below.
- Call Ahead If Possible - Call us right away during regular business hours. After hours, call the emergency pet hospitals listed above to notify them that you are on the way.
- Follow Instructions Provided - The staff at whichever emergency pet hospital or animal clinic you call may provide instructions to help you apply first aid or otherwise make your pet as comfortable as possible. Follow these instructions carefully.
- Remain Calm - Stay calm and be extra careful around your pet. Animals in pain often react negatively towards anyone attempting to help, and may scratch or bite.
- Bring Your Pet In For Care - Do not put yourself at risk! Take precautions when bringing your pet to our Harrisburg veterinary clinic or the after-hours emergency center listed above.
Read through our most frequently asked questions below to learn more about bringing your pet in for an emergency appointment at Colonial Park Animal Clinic.
- When is your clinic open?
Our veterinarians see emergency cases during our regular business hours:
- Monday: 08:00 am - 07:00 pm
- Tuesday: 08:00 am - 07:00 pm
- Wednesday: 08:00 am - 07:00 pm
- Thursday: 08:00 am - 07:00 pm
- Friday: 08:00 am - 07:00 pm
- Saturday: 08:00 am - 12:00 pm
- Sunday: Closed
- What types of animals do you treat?
Our emergency veterinarians are mostly experienced with cats, dogs and exotic pets such as birds, reptiles, and small mammals such as rabbits, guinea pigs and hamsters.
- Do I need to call ahead?
Colonial Park Animal Clinic provides emergency and urgent veterinary care for cats and dogs during our regular clinic hours and on Saturdays and Sundays from noon until 9 pm. If you can, it's always best to contact us in advance, but we understand this is not always possible in emergency situations.
If we are unable to fit your pet into our schedule, we recommend that you visit the after-hours emergency vet location listed above.
- What situations require emergency veterinary care?
These are examples of emergencies that will need immediate care:
- Your pet has ingested something poisonous (such as antifreeze, xylitol, chocolate, rodent poison, etc.)
- Choking, difficulty breathing, or continuous coughing/gagging
- Injuries to the eye(s)
- Refusal to drink for 24 hours or more
- Bleeding from nose, mouth, rectum, or blood in the urine
- Inability to urinate or pass feces, or pain associated with urinating or passing feces
- Severe vomiting or diarrhea; 2+ episodes in 24-hours
- Severe bleeding or bleeding that doesn't stop
- Heat stress or heatstroke
- Seizures and/or staggering
- Fractured bones or severe lameness
- Obvious signs of pain or extreme anxiety
- How long will we have to wait to see the vet?
Our Harrisburg animal clinic is just like a human doctor's office—it can be unpredictable and you may have to wait.
We are unable to predict which cases we will see and when they will arrive. If possible, call ahead to find out whether we are able to provide emergency care for your dog or cat.
If we are unable to fit an emergency appointment into our vet's schedule we recommend that you visit the 24/7 animal emergency hospital listed above.
- What happens if my pet needs to stay in the hospital?
Some veterinary emergencies require intensive overnight care. At Colonial Park Animal Clinic we provide overnight care for animals in need.
While in our care, our dedicated team will treat your pet as if they were our own.